Kirkham Hot Springs Pictures
Kirkham General Information
Is Kirkham Hot Springs Clothing Optional?
Good luck with that! This is a well-known and attended family hot springs which are visible from a state highway. Kirkham is posted as requiring swimwear, which means the FS and campground host is on the lookout. Hot springers commonly refer to places like Kirkham as textile soaks.
Seasonal Access Information
Accessible year-round. Campground gated during winter months. Official CG open date is May 20th. The Banks-Lowman Highway and Highway 21 can be a nightmare during winter and spring storms and can close or make the road impassable due to giant rocks falling on the road (seriously!). ALWAYS check road reports prior to your departure.
Kirkham is an actual Boise National Forest Campground, and the hot springs are just a few steps away. Other NF camping sites/areas are also available nearby off highway 21. Summers in this area can be hot, and you’ll find no reprieve in the campground as there are no shaded sites.
Kirkham Campground is located approximately 5 miles east of Lowman off Highway 21 near Mile Marker 77.
Kirkham Campground Online Reservations
Lowman may or may not have a gas station available (they seem to come and go on a regular basis). More reliable gas and food options are available either in Garden Valley or Idaho City.
There is a $5 parking fee during the day and the hot springs have nighttime closure in effect from 10 pm to 6 am.
Kirkham Hot Springs Soak Stats
- Season: All (check road conditions late Fall through early Spring)
- Type: Hike (short but steep hike to the pools)
- GPS: 44.062 -115.685
- Elevation: 3,000 ft
- Land: Boise National Forest
- Fee: $5 day use parking fee
- Restrictions: Campground closed and entrance gated during winter
- Usage: High
- Visibility: High
- Temp: Varies per pool
- Water Clarity: Clear to Semi-Clear
- Odor(s): Slight sulfur
- pH: n/a
- Area Features: South Fork Payette River, Kirkham Ridge Trailhead (1/4 mile from the campground)
- Closest Food/Gas: Garden Valley and Lowman
- Trash: High
- Bugs: Moderate
- Wildlife: High (deer and elk)
- Camping: Boise National Forest camping on-site
- Clothing Optional: No
- Pit Toilet: Available seasonally in the campground
Kirkham Campground is about 4.5 miles from Lowman along highway 21. Drive through the campground to find the small parking area and fee box. The hot springs are a short hike from the parking area. The campground and hot springs are well signed.
The brief hike down to the pools can be treacherous during inclement weather. Wear good shoes/boots and bring a hiking stick/trekking pole for balance.